Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Happy 13th Birthday to Our Ukrainian Princess

This week we also celebrated Anna's 13th birthday.  She's come a long way in the past 6 years.  When we first met her in Ukraine she was a feisty, attention craving, 7 year old.  Now she's a feisty, attention craving, 13 year old!
Anna and I the first day we met at her orphanage in Ukraine.
 Anna is a very photogenic, beautiful girl.  She's strong, loves animals, and loves to be with friends.  She loves attention, I think because she and Andrii were in an orphanage for older kids where she got lots of attention from them.  And of course, she lacked being the apple of her parents' eye as a small child.
Another day at the orphanage.  
 Anna always begged us for candy when we visited - she still has a sweet-tooth.  I still remember the visit where I tried to impress her by counting to 10 in Russian.  She showed me up by counting to 10 in Spanish - go figure!
Opening birthday presents!
 She got some very nice gifts and some money which she used to by an I-Touch she'd been saving up for.  Not only did we have a family party, but since she turned a special age we also had a friends' sleepover party.
Anna & Company
 Anna is in the center of the bottom row of the pyramid!

Home-made chocolate chip waffles is what's for breakfast!
 I made waffles for all the girls.  They were a huge hit and rather delicious if I do say so myself!

Instead of cake - make-your-own-sundaes!
The birthday girl was pretty pleased with all the celebrating.  And we were thrilled to be able to bless her on her special day.  Anna has always been a very demanding child, always asking for something all the time.  I had reached a point where sometimes I would say no, and for no real good reason.  I just grew tired of her always asking.  Recently I learned, however, that "kids from hard places" never really had a voice.  What that means is - no one ever responded to their voice.  When we have our babies we come when they cry, we feed them when they cry, we change them, rock them, hold them, all because they cry out and we hear them and basically say "yes, I'm here.  I'll take care of you.  I'll keep you safe. You matter to me."  We rock our infants, hold them, tickle them, cuddle them, etc.  Always sending the message that they are valued, loved, precious.  But kids in orphanages and even in foster care, no one ever did hear them. Like they never had a voice.  So we've learned to give voice by saying "yes" as much as we can.  If you're thinking that that could spoil a child, you might be right if you're talking about your own biological child.  The child who had voice since they uttered their first cry and you came running.  But kids from hard places never had a voice.  No one ever came when they cried.  No one ever pulled out the camera and gushed over their first smile, word, or step.  We must go back and do what never got done.  We give voice.  We say "yes"!

Yes, Anna, you are loved.  Yes, you can eat the pickles.  Yes, you can have a friend overnight.  Yes, you can join youth group.  Yes, you can watch a movie.  Yes, you can get a puppy when Mary's puppy has puppies in 2 years.  Yes, you can have a horse......wait, did I just say yes to that?????

No comments:

Post a Comment