Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Endings & Beginnings

Well, it's June;  Half way through June actually.  We are finished with school, sort of.  Wayne Jr. and Curtis are both taking summer college courses.  As for the homeschooled kids, Sierra too is finishing up 2 online courses with Liberty University, Andrii is finished and working his summer job, Anna is finished except for a grammar test, and Jordan & Slava are in summer schedule mode.  With the little guys I just can't stop doing "school" over the summer.  They really need to retain what they've learned and both benefit from a structured day.  Our summer "structure" is a bit loose, but we still do reading, calendar, and hands on activities.  I've been in the throws of year end home school reports to the school district.  NY has some of the heaviest requirements for homeschoolers.  I've just finished our quarterly reports and officially promoted everyone to the next grade level.  Then I typed up the Letter of Intent letting the school know we intend to home school again next year.  That leads to Individual Home Instruction Plans (IHIPs as we veteran home school moms call them).  IHIPs are basically a list of curriculum for each subject that I plan on using for the coming school year.  I have to do one for each of the 5 kids.  Once that's done I end up in the throw out the old, reorganize, and start setting up for fall mode.  I'm trying to hold myself back - I really need to enjoy the summer before it's gone!  

A Bit of Home School History!
 This is the grade book that I've used every year for the past 11 years since we began homeschooling.  It has all the kids in it starting with Wayne Jr. and going to Slava!  I've kept attendance, yes go figure homeschoolers must take attendance.  My kids have perfect attendance since we pretty much live here everyday!  The book also contains everyone's grades too.  I think I'll display it in the Flach Academy Museum.

Last week Slava had a speech/language evaluation at the local public school.  His scores indicate that he qualifies for therapy 3x weekly next school year.  So starting in the fall, in addition to homeschooling, I will bring him to school for PT once weekly, OT 2x weekly, and now speech/language 2x weekly.  They will try to combine the days so I don't have to be there every day.  I am thankful that the school is working with us and they are not being difficult because we homeschool.
In fact, so far the therapists all seem to agree that what we are doing is working best for Slava.

A Quiet Morning Pool-side.
 Friday afternoon Wayne took Jordan and Slava up to our camp in the Adirondacks overnight to check on things and clean up.  A tree had fallen in the yard, thankfully no damage was done, so he wanted to get it cleaned up.  In addition to the 3 of them being away, Sierra, Andrii, and Anna all had a youth group sleep-over at our church.  I pretty much had a mini-vacation for 24 hours!  I was able to complete so much paperwork on Friday, then went out to breakfast with Curtis on Saturday.  After breakfast, I went for a walk with my friend Lauri, then spent the day by our pool doing paperwork in the sun!

We are going on a "real" family vacation for the first time in years.  Aside from traveling to  Ukraine for our adoptions (not very relaxing) and weekend visits to our camp, we have not been away as a family for any length of time.  Every summer I lament that the Ukrainian kids have never been to the ocean, but I never seem to be able to put a plan together.  This year I enlisted Kerri's help and we booked a house right on the beach in Virginia Beach!  The kids are so excited and counting down the days!
Curtis & I at breakfast!  

On Thursday, Mary and I recorded our very first radio show entitled "Orphans No More"!  It was so exciting!  The show will air on WDCD 96.7fm (Christian Talk Radio) on Friday, August 9th at 1:30pm.  We basically shared about ourselves and Justice For Orphans.  We have the studio on Thursday mornings to record our shows over the summer.  They will air from Aug. 9th through November on Fridays.  We are considering doing the November shows live.  This week we will record 3 shows!  I am so excited about this door that the Lord has been opening.  We would have never had the idea to try and get on the radio, not to mention have our own show!  We give God the glory.  He gave us a heart like His for the orphan, and now He has given us a way to share it with the Church!

2 comments:

  1. Your life sounds full! You mentioned that your younger guys benefitted from continuing school during the summer, but at a summer schedule pace. I have an only child, but we homeschool all year long. Our summer school schedule is somewhat modified but we can't afford the 'brain drain' of summer. Have you considered a summer program like the one on Vocabulary and Spelling City? (http://www.spellingcity.com/summer-program-faq.html) My daughter has definitely benefitted from the activities on Spelling City and she finds the games a fun way to pack down knowledge without it seeming too much like drudgery. Enjoy the summer and your trip to the beach. I hope your family has a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you so much for commenting. I rarely get comments and wonder if anyone is really following sometimes! Our summer schedule pretty much includes reading and hands on math games. I try to make it fun. My little guys learn much better if it's a hands-on activity anyway. One summer I had the middle kids memorizing poetry. It's excellent for language development. I offered $5 for each poem they could recite. My daughter Sierra has an exceptional memory - she raked in the $$$ that summer! Thanks again for your comment. I hope you enjoy the blog!
      Blessings,
      Sandra

      Delete