Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Friday, August 29, 2014

Summer Season


My last post, over 2 months ago, was about changing seasons.  This post comes as I walk in yet another season of life - the loss of my mom.  The summer was a blur as from January 2014 to the end of July my weeks were increasingly full with taking my mom to doctor appointments, blood and platelet transfusions, setting up in-home hospice, and caring for her daily the last week of her life.  Every prayer I prayed for my mom was answered, in fact, every detail of her passing reflects the love and mercy of God.  And I was blessed to be with her as she took her last breaths.  

Joan Elizabeth Blondell Barger Roberts
2/4/38- 7/24/14

A few days after the funeral we headed to our camp in the Adirondacks for a much-needed week of rest and family time.  It was the first time we'd ever spent a full week on Otter Lake, but Wayne was all for it.  So in one way or another, most of our family was there through-out the week.  On Friday night Wayne and I headed up with Jordan and Slava.  On Sunday, Wayne Jr., Kerri, Iona, and Kerri's parents - Tom & Linda, arrived to stay in a rental camp a few doors down from ours.  Monday morning brought Andrii and my dad and Monday evening brought Sierra, Anna, and Shannon (Kerri's sister).  Curtis arrived on Friday night to spend the last couple days with us.

Enchanted Forest-Water Safari, Old Forge, NY
 While the men all went golfing Linda, Kerri, and I took all the kids to Water Safari for the day.  

Grammy & Iona selfie!

Linda, Kerri & Iona on the Lazy River

Slava navigating the Lazy River

 Back at camp we enjoyed the lake, boating, kayaking, fishing, camp fires, and lots of eating.  Iona enjoyed her jumper out on our porch.  Most early mornings as I enjoyed my coffee and quiet time, Wayne Jr. and Iona would arrive to join me on the porch before anyone else woke up.  My precious perfectly-timed granddaughter brings me much joy during this difficult season of life. The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the Name of the Lord.


We all took a day trip to the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake.  It was a beautiful day and the kids enjoyed the hands-on activities.
Slava & Jordan

Sierra, Andrii, and Anna - my teens!
 Blue Mountain Lake in the background.

Jordan & I

Friday night fish-fry at Van Auken's Inn in Thendara
 l-r:  Curtis, Shannon, Linda, Tom, Wayne Jr., Iona, & Kerri

Saturday we hiked Bald Mountain.
Andrii with 4th Lake in the background.

Up in the Bald Mountain Fire Tower
 l-r back row:  Andrii, me, Linda, and Shannon
front:  Jordan & Slava

On top of Bald Mt.
 Andrii, Wayne, me, Anna, Curtis, and Sierra
Slava & Jordan in front.

Uncle Curtis, I want the guitar.
I love this pic with Curtis, Iona, and her other Grammy.   
Curtis often has a guitar in his hands - even while on the boat.
Iona was intrigued and kept reaching out to touch it.  

The week at camp flew by and it was wonderful, but returning home meant returning to the reality of my mom's passing.  It also meant it was time to get Sierra ready to leave for college, prepare for another home school year,  and celebrate Jordan's 11th birthday.  My next post will feature these events.  Seasons change.

No comments:

Post a Comment