Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Matthew Project

Jordan manning the stock room.

Andrii organizing the fridge.

Sierra: Did you say 40 bologna sandwiches???

Anna: Yes, I said 40 bologna sandwiches!

A couple months ago the Lord impressed it upon my heart to serve Him in my community. Our church is in the next village over from where we live, about 15 minutes away. But I sensed His leading me to do something in my own community, right where I live. Then our local paper ran a story on the Matthew Project, a church-based program providing lunches to kids in our town over the summer who would normally receive free or reduced lunch in school. The center of operations is Grace Covenant Church, but the volunteers come from many of the community's churches. We all come together as the body of Christ feeding the hungry in our small town. The name of the program "The Matthew Project" comes from one of my favorite portions of Scripture, Matthew 25:35-40. We are each called to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, take in the poor. When we do it for the least of these, we are doing it for Jesus. These were the verses God used to direct us to International Adoption 5 years ago. So now one morning each week the 4 kids and I head down to the Matthew Project and help make & deliver lunches to kids. We are having a blast, and we are getting to be Jesus' hands and feet expressing God's love to the kids in our community. What a privilege!

No comments:

Post a Comment