Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Learning Lessons

Anna sporting her new doo.

Aunt Bree giving Slava his new doo too.

We've had some very busy days, so I've not had a chance to update until now. Jordan is recovering nicely from surgery. I'm always amazed at his courage and perseverance. The next surgery will be in 6 months and the doctor said one rod will need to be replaced at that time. But Jordy's back in the swing of things and even went to archery on Saturday.
Slava continues to bond and attach to us. Last week he had his first hair cut (in America anyway). He did very well while Aunt Bree spiffed up his hair. Yesterday we braved the snow and freezing rain to visit the pediatrician again. Our doc wanted to see him again to make sure he is gaining weight. He only gained a few ounces which surprised me because he eats constantly. His new favorite is "chocolateka cereal" - chocolate cheerios. Other favs are: yogurt, cooked carrots, cucumbers, and spaghetti. He did grow 1/4 of an inch though. The doc was pleased that he didn't lose weight and wants to see him in 3 months. Slava was pleased that the "doctick" didn't give him a "boolah" (boo boo) - he remembered getting 3 shots last time!
Slava broke his eye glasses already...which isn't really that surprising to me. But it is frustrating. I'm considering ordering a 2nd pair, so when that happens (and with a busy body like Slava it will happen again) we'll have a spare. But, at $180 a pair I'm not too sure I want to do it. Glasses are not covered by our health insurance.
Our school days are longer than ever lately. With everyone taking a 30 minute turn playing with Slava school is stretching into the 4pm area...ouch. I'm finally starting to adjust to the new season we're in...the Slava season! This has caused me to reevaluate our priorities. Mostly our priorities have always been faith and family first. This is still the case, however I needed to remember that I'm not wonder woman (nor do I want to be) and the priorities help keep me in line. Bible is our top priority each morning. Studying the Word of God, guiding our kids to build their lives on the solid rock foundation of Jesus Christ, and establishing a biblical worldview are the most important "subjects" we cover in our home school. Our #1 goal for our kids: that they walk in a personal relationship with Jesus. But seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33. Whatever academics we cover after that is enough. Trust me, we cover the 3 R's and then some...and meet the State Regs, but What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Matthew 16:26. When our kids become adults we want them to walk with God and not strive for the things of the world. Our other priority is family. And since Slava is family, we are all taking part in his transition into our family's life. And we are all making the transition with him! My friend, Lauri, reminded me the other day that I am a mom with young kids. With all the teenagers floating around, and with a married son, I forget that I have little ones still. Slava, though 5 years old, is really like a 2 year old (going thru the terrible two's) and Jordan, though 7 years old, is really like a 5 year old...when he's not acting like 35! Add the other kids at 13, 14, 18, & 20 all under our roof... the reason why I'm still in my pj's at 7pm comes into focus!
Slava's English vocabulary continues to grow daily. He says so much that I cannot begin to list it all. One new word is "again". He says it all the time. If I say, do you want milk? He'll say, "Milk, again!" However he's learned another word "cleaning" which he doesn't quite get the meaning of yet. If you hand him a towel he will wipe up a spill and say, "Slava cleaning." But he also loudly corrects us with it. For example, Curtis picked him up and twirled him around which he loved, but when Curtis set him back down Slava exclaimed (with hand motions), "Curtis, Stop Cleaning!" He just cracks us up. We are all growing in our love for this little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment