Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Friday, July 1, 2011

Investing In The Kingdom

Well goodbye June and hello July! I can't say that I'm looking forward to July since our calendar is so jam-packed already that there's no room to breath. July 4th we have a wedding to attend, a graduation party, the 11th is Jordan's surgery, Missy turns 21, there's a fund-raiser/garage sale for Sierra's Cambodia trip, Andrii goes to Camp Pinnacle for a week, and there's a baby shower to attend. This only accounts for the weekends. The weekdays are still busy with piano, the Matthew Project, Karate, dentists, doctors, hair appointments, and Cambodia preparations. I've been standing on my head looking at my calendar trying to figure out how we can squeeze a trip to our camp in too. Well at least there are 10 weeks left to summer vacation!
There's been another shocking sighting of Wayne's bizarre behavior. Yes, that's him on the trampoline with Slava and Jordan. Even Andrii and Kashi look a bit perplexed.

This pic is of Sierra at the Hudson River. It was taken by Andrii who I believe has a photography talent he's been hiding.

Of course Sierra likes to take pics of herself and affect them on the computer.

Yes, life is crazy busy, but what else would I be doing? The other day I was observing Sierra, Anna, Jordan, and Slava jumping on the trampoline together. Then I realized that if we hadn't adopted, Sierra would be like an only child at this point. Wayne Jr.'s married and out, Missy is living on her own, Curtis is home but never home with work and college. I suppose we could be living the easy life, but then again this life isn't mine. I surrendered it to Jesus.

The Lord has been speaking to my heart a lot lately regarding orphans. About 7 years ago God used Matthew 25 to really get to me. Matthew 25:14-20 specifically spoke to me about how God gives us talents, gifts, and even finances to invest in His Kingdom...not in the world. Matthew 25:31-46: For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me. And verse 40: And the King will tell them, "I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me."
James 1:27 - Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their trouble, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.

The Word of God is full of Scriptures revealing God's heart for the orphan, the fatherless, the oppressed. I will be sharing more of them in future posts. I've also been doing some research (I'm not even sure why, but the Lord will bring it all together in His perfect time). Here is some of what I've found:
STATISTICS
There are 143-210 million orphans in the world.
In the U.S. there are more than half a million children in foster care (many waiting to be adopted)
Approximately 250,000 children get adopted annually, but...
Each year 14,505,000 children grow up as orphans and age of the system by age 16 (who is willing to adopt teenagers?)
38,493 orphans age out each day
In Russia & Ukraine 10%-15% of these children commit suicide before age 18
60% of the girls become prostitutes
70% of the boys become hardened criminals
Most are unemployed, homeless, and in prison within 3 years
117,000 Ukrainians each year become victims of human trafficking...
Most of the victims are women and children (the greatest at risk are poor, uneducated, & unskilled).
Trafficking groups have liasons in small towns and villages who lure their victims with the idea of a "promising job proposition". I've always suspected that teenage girls who age out of orphanages are prime targets for trafficking.
I haven't even begun to look into Asia, Africa, or Latin America. But I have learned that Ukraine leads in number of human trafficking victims in Eastern Europe.

I've also learned that there are at least 220,000 Christian churches in the United States. So, if one family from each church adopted one orphan (from at home or abroad) that would make a small difference in the statistics, but a huge difference in the life of one of the least of these. But, if one family adopted a sibling group (like we did) that would have a huge impact on the numbers. And if more than one family from each church adopted....well you get the point. How can we as Christians allow the innocent to live under oppression while we live here in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
An estimated 65,500 adopted children in the US are living with a lesbian or gay parent
An estimated 2 million gay/lesbian people are interested in adopting.
Why aren't Christians adopting and raising kids for the Lord???
In the US there are more than 1 million induced abortions performed each year. We as Christians want to see abortion stopped, but what are we prepared to do with the 1 million babies each year who will flow into the foster care system?

I believe that each Christian family must pray and seek God's will for their lives. Ask Him if it is His will that they adopt an orphan (or 4). And if these families walk in obedience to the answer they get...then there would be a whole lot less orphans in the world and a whole lot more kids growing up in Christian homes.
Jesus said, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me." Mark 9:37a.
Thank you for listening, but stay tuned. I'm not finished yet!

1 comment: