Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Growing

The past 2 weeks, no make that 3 weeks, or maybe 4.......any way, life has been so crazy-busy that I lost focus of why we do what we do.  The Word says "do not grow weary in doing good for in due season you shall reap if you faint not."  Weary is where I've been.  Weary lulled me into lazy which led me to be off guard which caused the pressure-cooker to finally blow.  Yup, just ask my kids.  When the pressure cooker blows - it's down right ugly.  God's timing is always perfect, of course.  And He brought to my attention some Scripture which I needed to chew on.  And of course, He did it in a very humbling way - while I was teaching it to my kids!  More on that down below....

Anna should have been a gymnast.  She is built like a gymnast and the Ukrainian blood has something to do with that I'm sure.  But it's a bit late for her to start seriously since she's already 13.  However, my nephew's wife opened a gymnastics academy about 40 minutes from us.  Though it's too far to go weekly for classes, I promised Anna we'd go check it out.  Jamie let us come so the kids could bounce around for a while and try it all out.  Yesterday I took Anna, her best friend, Mary, and Jordan & Slava.  They had a blast!
Mary & Anna
 We pretty much had the place to ourselves and the kids tried everything.  Anna is a natural and is very strong.
Anna just hanging out.


 Jordan on the uneven bars.  
 Jordan would love to do gymnastics (he tried to get me to buy the little suit the boys wear).  Dr. Carl said "no" to him participating.  I let him play around on all the stuff, but he's not allowed to arch his back since the rods in his back do not bend.  Of course, that didn't stop him from trying!  We had an answer to prayer last week!  Jordan saw the pediatric endocrinologist on Monday.  The same doctor he saw last year who said he'd need to grow at least an inch to be safe from growth hormone treatment. I remember asking the Lord for him to grow 2 inches.  Well.........Jordan grew 2 inches!!!! Praise God!

Future Olympian!
 Slava is a natural and has boundless energy!  He (and I) could really benefit from regular gymnastics classes for him.  It was a great outlet for him.  Plus he has no fear!  He went nonstop for the hour and a half we where there.  When I put on his coat to leave he said, "Let's go to Dunkin' Donuts.  I need a big, fat donut with sprinkles!"  I guess he really worked up an appetite.  Yes, of course I got him the donut!


My computer is not cooperating with my blog lately.  I have no idea why these pics came out this way?  

My mom on her 75th birthday!
 Happy Valentines Day!
 These roses were from Andrii.  He hand wrote the card and in case you can't read it, I'll be happy to tell you what it says, "For the best Mom ever!!!"  He is now my favorite son!
Slava can do knuckle push-ups!
 Thankfully Karate is only 5 minutes from our house.  Sierra, Anna, Jordan, and Slava all participate weekly.  It is the best thing for those little boys.  Slava loves it, I think we have a future black-belt on our hands!
Uno!
Slava's new game is Uno, and he's very good at it.  Since it's hard for his little hands to hold all the cards, we play with our cards on the table (or rug).  This morning while he and I were home alone we played 6 rounds - he won 4 of them!

...Now back to the pressure cooker.  The Scripture that got my attention is 1 Peter 5:5-9 -
All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."  Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  Be alert and of sober mind.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith.....
As I mentioned in my last blog post, I realized I'd been trying to do things in my own strength.  Not on purpose, but with all the running (OT, PT, doctor this, dentist that, piano, karate, church, store, post office, bank, hair cuts, kid in crisis, social worker appt, etc....and did I mention homeschooling?  With all of that I find that the day starts and gets away from me before I realize it.  I do try to start the day with the Lord, but sometimes it's only 5 minutes and the little boys are up.  I found myself in a very lazy habit:  since I'm so exhausted once the little boys are in bed, I go crash on the couch around 9pm.  But then I can't get myself off of the couch and in bed at a decent hour.  If I went to bed earlier I could get up earlier and really have the time for the Word and prayer that I really need.  The enemy is very crafty - lull me into a lazy routine and I will be caught without my armor on.  I was not alert or sober minded and so became a prime target.  I was not humble, I was trying to do it all.  I found my self in a place where I didn't know what I didn't have to do.  I was trying to do it all, which I can't, and started feeling like a failure because I couldn't.  I love the above verses because it covers exactly everything:  Humility (I know I can't do this - the Lord doesn't call us to assignments that we can do in our own strength).  I must cast all my cares upon Him.  He does a much better job with it than I do!  I'd gotten lazy and my spiritual muscles were getting flabby - I didn't see the enemy approaching so how could I resist him when I didn't see him coming?
So there's a new plan in place around here.  I'm on a couch "fast".  I'm heading to bed to read and get some sleep, and now I'm getting up earlier.  My prayer life is getting back to where it should be.  Wayne and I are working on the calendar.  I'm so thankful (#784) for my husband who is my partner in this ministry.  Together we've been looking for solutions so that all of the pressure isn't on me 24/7.  He even offered to do the monthly grocery shopping for me.  Poor guy had no idea what he was offering to get himself into!  I wouldn't take advantage of him like that!  I don't mind doing the shopping, or taking the kids to appointments, or doing any of the things I do.  But it just got to the point where there is so much of it to do, plus homeschooling (which I know we're called to do), plus house-keeping, etc. that even the thought of needing to pick up milk became an overwhelming thought.  I really love doing what God has called me to do, but the enemy really wanted in so he could mess it up.  I must be alert, vigilant, and humble.  We decided to have Kerri come to help me 3 days instead of just 2.  And I sat down with my calendar and blocked off every other week as a "No Appointment Week."  On those weeks I will schedule no appointments beyond the routine weekly stuff we already do.  These things, combined with the most important quality time with the Lord, will help us get where we need to be.  I see it as a spiritual growth spurt.  I'm so thankful (#806) that the Lord doesn't leave us in the messes we make for ourselves.  And I'm thankful (#807) for growing in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment