Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spring Has Sprung

We are enjoying the spring-like days.  The little boys are outside constantly which has them sleeping a bit longer in the morning.  Finally I'm actually having a quiet time that's actually quiet!  I'm so thankful for quiet early mornings in the Word and prayer.  It really makes a difference in my day.  

Jordan 
 My husband is a dirt bike guy from way back.  He rode go-carts, 3 wheelers (when there was such a thing), mini-bikes, dirt bikes etc. when he was a kid.  So, it's a pretty typical day around here when the kids are riding some type of motorized vehicle.  With the warmer weather the boys have been begging to ride dirt bikes everyday.  Jordan has graduated up to a 70cc.  I actually caught him the other day jumping our driveway.  I felt really bad putting an end to the jumping - but with metal rods in that bony little body I had to play the big meanie and forbid it.  But in the words of my mom, "It's better you cry than we cry."  Sorry Jordy.
Slava on the 50.
Slava is learning how to ride too.  He's riding the 50cc that was actually Wayne Jr.'s about 19 years ago.  Wayne put training wheels on so Slava can get the feel of it.  I'm pretty sure jumping the driveway will be in his future too.  Riding is a great way for him to burn off energy, improve balance and coordination, and it's great sensory input also.  He's also riding his bicycle all day everyday too.  Oh how I live warm weather.  
 Chef Anna
 Anna can make a pretty tasty BLT.  Since I'm busy doing school with the little boys, the bigger kids take care of their own lunch.  They usually have something cooking up on the stove.  I'm thinking it's a great way to learn some life skills.  Now if I could just get them to make my lunch!

A Game of 4 Square
 With the warmer days the kids are outside all the time.  Here they're playing a game of 4 Square with a couple neighbor friends.
Jordan in X-Ray
 Wednesday Jordan had an appointment with his orthopedic surgeon.  Here he is in x-ray making shadow puppets while we wait for the technician to check the x-ray.  This kid is way too comfortable in the hospital setting.  He even figured out how to use the buttons to raise and lower the machine.  I warned Jordan to not break it.  I really didn't want to by a new machine!  Typically this routine visit would include scheduling Jordan for his next rod-lengthening surgery in July.  He's been on a routine of surgery in January and July.  It's been so routine that I was shocked when his doctor said that he didn't think surgery in July would be necessary.  Jordy's curvature measured 22-24 degrees - the smallest ever.  The frequency for surgery will decrease as he grows.  When his torso stops growing (typically around pre-puberty) then the growing rods will be removed and permanent rods will be put in.  Then we're done.  Jordan will be 10 in August.  I'm really praying he will grow much more before his torso stops, but we're getting to the end of this long term project.  I give all the glory to the Lord.  It really was an unexpected miracle.
Jordan & Slava at Karate

 I am still so pleased with Karate For Christ.  It has been so good for the little boys.  They are improving on strength, coordination, and paying attention.  They still have a long way to go, but they are making progress.
Slava showing initiative.
 Our character training is going well.  A couple weeks ago we learned "Initiative:  Seeing a job that needs to be done and doing it without being asked."  Jordan's job is to put away the clean silverware from the dishwasher.  I set it out and called for him to do it.  Slava said, "I'll do it."  And he did.  That's initiative!  We've also learned "Diligence:  Doing my very best at every job because Jesus is watching."  And this week is "Kindness:  Treating others as we would want to be treated."  We keep reviewing each concept (we've also learned obedience, honesty, patience, respect, and responsibility).  Throughout each day we talk about these things and I'm always praising them when I see them doing it.  It even seems to have a positive influence on the bigger kids.  Win-win!

Curtis the Fisherman!
 It's that time of year again - Striper Season on the Ole Mighty Hudson River.  At least that's what Sierra calls it.  My husband loves fishing for striped bass.  They come up the Hudson River from the Atlantic to spawn this time every year.  They are in our area in May.  We'd heard they were a little early this year, so Wayne and Curtis have been men on a mission trying to get ready.  Last night Curtis went with a friend (Wayne and I were out to dinner celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary, thank you).  He got the first bass of the year for team Flach.  Yay Curt!

Quadruple Trouble
Sierra is on her way to another Karate tournament this weekend in Canada.  She's in the backseat on the right.  With her in this pic is her best friend Luci, and Luci's sister Ruth.  Driving is Sensei Mick who has his own dojo in Canada.  Last Saturday Sierra competed in New Paltz, NY.  She had to fight a brown belt (she's only an orange with green stripe).  She held her own but didn't bring home a trophy for the first time.  Hope the girls make an excellent show of it in Canada!

On Wednesday I leave for the Orphan Summit in Nashville!  I can't wait!  I'm so excited.  I can't wait to experience all that the Lord has for us and our ministry at the Summit.  My next post will include the details.  Our Justice For Orphans website will be up and running by May 1st.  I'll post the address next week!  Mary and I have our JFO business cards and we're ready to go!  Keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment