Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I Could Never Do That

"That's so wonderful what you've done for those kids.  I could never do that."  I've heard that comment many times, and I always cringe.  First of all, I am brutally aware that haven't done anything more than obey God.  Isn't that what we're all supposed to do?  Walk out in obedience what He has called us to do?  And caring for orphans is something He calls all of us to do.  Secondly, I am only able to do what He calls me to do because He does it through me.  My job is to remain in His presence, so I can hear His voice and follow His lead.

Over 15 years ago in a women's Bible study group I was immersed in Blackaby's Experiencing God:  Knowing and Doing His Will.  That study transformed my walk with God.  Since then my everyday goal has been to experience God - to know His will and to walk it out in obedience.  Funny how God doesn't waste anytime issuing the first assignment!  And you know how the Scripture says, "Well done good and faithful servant.  You've been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.  Come and share your master's happiness."?  It's true.

 My first assignment was welcoming an 8 year old girl into our home.  She was kin, needed a family, and we were that family.  Looking back, it amazes me that we were clueless to the James 1:27 mind-set.  We didn't think, "Oh, orphans and widows, let's do this."  We just saw a need, knew God wanted us to meet it, and so we did.  I will say this, 5 adopted kids later, I wish I knew then what I know now.  We have no regrets about adopting our daughter who is now 24.  The only regret being not knowing or understanding wounded children.  My second assignment was to volunteer-teach at the small Christian school our kids attended.  There I discovered my passion for teaching and God's sense of humor, as my next assignment was to homeschool our then 4 kids.  That was 11 years ago and Flach Academy is still going strong.  I have 4 survivors, I mean graduates, and 4 current students.  Then came our biggest assignment (yet):  to grow our family through international adoption.  We stepped out in faith again and adopted our 3 Ukrainian-born kids 7 years ago, and then 3 years later continued the journey to the 4th.

The above mentioned assignments do not have a deadline or completion date.  They are on-going.  That's ok with me because it has been this on-the-job-training that has brought me closer to the Lord.  My faith has grown, I've matured in the things of God, and I have a deeper understanding of my salvation.  Adopting children taught me about my own spiritual adoption in ways I wouldn't have learned otherwise.  The Bible says, He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well.  Is that not what it means no know me? Declares the Lord.  Yes, caring for orphans will bring you to a place of knowing God beyond anything you can imagine.  could never do that...without God!

No comments:

Post a Comment