Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Jordan - The Winner!

Jordan won first place in our church's annual pine wood derby today! His car was the fastest in his class and was the fasted Royal Ranger car overall! As you can see he's pretty happy about it.
Papa & Jordan in Ukraine

"Big Slava" our driver & Jordan.
We were having lunch in Vasylkiv waiting for Slava's new birth certificate.

In case it isn't obvious, this post is about 7 year old Jordan! I wouldn't have ever thought it would be possible to love a child as much as I love this kid. And it's not just me; Everyone who has the privilege of knowing him knows what I mean. There is just something special about this boy. Four years ago when we were in Ukraine for our 1st adoption I remember praying that he would one day allow me to cuddle him. Well, the Lord has certainly overflowed my cup in answer to that prayer. Jordan is the most loving and affectionate boy I've ever met. He tells me, dozens of times every day, that he loves me. We usually have this dialogue running where he says, "I love you." I say, "I love you infinity." He says, "I love you eternity." etc. and we try to out do each other's love. And he is constantly hugging and kissing me. Jordan is so above and beyond well adjusted that it's hard to believe that he's only been home with us for 4 years. Within the first 5 months of being here he had eye muscle surgery. Two years ago he underwent major surgery to insert rods in his back for his severe scoliosis. Since then he's returned to the hospital every 6 months for rod adjustments which requires one overnight stay each time. He is such a trooper too. The hospital staff in pre-op, the OR, and post-op all know him by name since we are frequent fliers there. He is such a brave boy.

In the past 6 months Jordan's had his best growth spurt ever. For the first time in 4 years he's actually outgrown his clothes! He's still small for 7, but he's finally growing. As with most children who spend their formative years in an institution, Jordan has some delays, mostly in his fine motor skills. In September he was finally "ready" for tackling the academics of home schooling. Even with a month in Ukraine and a month of Slava adjustment and holidays, Jordan has actually finished his Saxon Kindergarten math curriculum and is almost finished with the A Beka K Phonics program. Jordan is reading!!! And his math skills are very good. His biggest challenge is writing because of his fine motor skill delay. Lately he's really been enjoying drawing, tracing, coloring, and cutting. All of which will help strengthen those little hands. He is very smart and has an amazing memory. I know God has an amazing plan for Jordan's life. I am honored to be his mom.

When I stop to think about what Jordan's future would have been like, had we not said "yes" to the call to adopt, I am overwhelmed. Jordan was in a baby orphanage (the same one as Slava). Children are typically moved to an orphanage for older kids once they reach school age. Children with disabilities are put in institutions of nightmare proportions. Jordan, with his crooked eyes and twisted spine, would have certainly ended up there. He would have never received love, stimulation, education, or medical intervention. He would have never developed to his full potential nor would he have had a very long lifespan (with his spine continuing to twist as he grew). I thank God often that He called us to adopt, and that we chose to be obedient and go. I thank God that He placed all 4 Ukrainians in our family. We cannot imagine life without them. These kids have enriched and blessed our lives above and beyond what we have done for them.
Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us. James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment