Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Friday, April 1, 2011

He Restoreth My Soul

What a week. The 23rd Psalm kept coming to mind, but I kept brushing it aside (mostly because I didn't want to think about the "walking through the valley of the shadow of death" part). But as the week wore on I finally revisited this Psalm that I'd memorized long ago. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul... Stop right there. Boy do I need green pastures and still waters. And oh how I need my soul restored and my strength renewed. But the key is in the first part, the Shepherd part. The only way to the green pastures and still waters is by following the Shepherd. He is my Renewer and my Restorer. I need to remember that when I find myself overwhelmed. Overwhelmed. That's a word I used too many times this week.
Wayne Jr. replacing our cabinet doors.

Probably the construction that was going on here was a huge contributing factor this week. We had 3 windows replaced along with all of our cabinet doors. We'd remodeled our kitchen 5 years ago and over the past year we noticed the finish starting to peel off. The manufacturer actually made good on it and sent us all new doors and drawer fronts. Our son, Wayne Jr., came and did the work (what a blessing having a family business is). Construction is a disruption in itself, then add Slava to the mix and it's chaos. We've been having a hard time keeping Slava in the house, so we keep all the doors dead bolted. However, with the construction and the guys needing to come in and out we had to keep the doors unlocked and most of the time one was open. Slava, of course, wanted to be where the action was which is usually where little boys shouldn't be. All of it made it very difficult to have productive school days. I am so thankful that Kerri comes 2 days each week. Staying on top of Slava is very exhausting.
Curtis with his pinewood derby car.

Thursday was especially draining, and it was the only day we didn't have the construction going on! While I was making dinner and dealing with a big kid with major issues, Jordan came inside crying with blood spurting from his forehead. His foot got caught in his bike when he got off of it and he landed forehead first on the rock wall that boarders our sidewalk. So off to urgent care we went. We returned home with a glued up forehead and 3 half-gallons of ice cream. After getting the little kids to bed and making some preparations for Friday mornings coop classes, I finally crashed in bed to work on my Bible study. Before long the sound of the "big kid with major issues" sobbing wafted into my room. Reluctantly, prayerfully, I checked on big kid. Big kid is not doing good. After almost 2 hours I collapsed back into bed exhausted, drained, and unable to sleep. Lord, I don't know what to do. Tell me what to do...
Anna with her pinewood derby car.

Andrii with his"guitar car" which won best-in-show & 3rd place.

Sierra with her "Honest John" car.

Friday was a full day of coop classes and construction which is now thankfully completed. We shuffled kids around to youth group and Curtis offered to watch the little kids so Wayne & I could have dinner at our favorite restaurant. I think the quiet hour together just might count as beside still waters. Even in all the craziness and difficulties I wouldn't trade what we're doing for anything. I know we are walking in God's will. I know He will equip us for what He's called us to. I know we must not run out ahead but must follow His lead. And our Good Shepherd will provide the green pastures, cool waters, strength, and restoration that we need. Thank you, Lord.

Thankfully tomorrow is Saturday which is a slower paced day with Papa usually home all day. The only thing we have going on is a birthday party for Curtis (who turns 19 on the 2nd) and Andrii (who turns 14 on the 10th). We're having our usual family party with only about 40 people...easy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment