Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Planning & Packing

Life right now is a flurry of lists, schedules, planning, packing, shopping, and anything else that pops into my brain. I've got lists for what to put in each suitcase, each carry-on bag, what to get at this store and that, and so on. I've laid out an Oct/Nov calendar for the kids who will be home and everyone who will be pitching in. We've got meals lined up, schedules planned out, appointments rearranged, and by this weekend the cabinets & freezer will be well stocked. I'm so thankful for the family that will be stepping up to the plate while we're gone. My parents, Wayne's parents, Wayne Jr. & Kerri, Missy & Curtis, my bro-in-law & sis-in-law, neighbors, etc. will all be on rotating schedules for being home with the kids, bringing in meals, carting kids to appointments, etc. Funny how it takes 10+ people to fill my little shoes for a month! Actually many of these people help me on a regular basis anyway! AND I AM THANKFUL FOR EACH ONE OF THEM.

We are counting the days until we leave (on the 22nd) and have our appointment (on the 25th). There is a chance that we will be able to actually see Slava on the 25th too. His orphanage is just outside of Kiev, and since we have a 9am appointment we might be able to squeeze in a visit. When we adopted Jordan from the same orphanage, we could only visit him Mon-Fri 10am-noon.

I asked our facilitator if it would be possible for us to have accommodations with internet access. I haven't been looking forward to dragging Jordan into those internet cafes. Last time we were there (and we were a spectacle since we had 4 kids with us ages 10-17), we attracted a little too much attention to ourselves. One fella started off friendly offering to be a translator for us. We politely refused because we already had one (though not for down times like internet cafe visits). Then he started asking for money for his sick mother's operation. We tried parting company, but he followed us around Kiev. We kept ducking into stores, but he'd be outside when we came back out. We didn't want to go back to our apartment until he was gone. We ended up going into a "coffee shop" and having cocoa and resting for a bit. Finally he was gone and we never saw him again, but it was a little scary. And Jordan is very social, so keeping him quiet anywhere will be a challenge! Our people have promised us internet in our apartment. It will be so nice to be able to update this blog, email, skype, and facebook all from the comfort of our apartment. Thank You, Lord!

My head is swimming with all the things that need to be tended to. I will update as often as I can until we leave. Life is pretty crazy. Wednesday nights are in full swing with Fife & Drum practice for 3 kids, flagging for 1, and Missionettes & Royal Ranges for most (including me since I'm teaching a precious group of 7 kindergarten girls)! Thankfully His strength is made perfect in my weakness. I cannot do this without Him. Nor would I want to even try.

No comments:

Post a Comment