Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Monday, December 27, 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2010




It amazes me that Christmas is already over! The past week was just a blurr for me. I actually collapsed into bed at 10pm Christmas Eve (the earliest I've ever been to bed on Christmas Eve) and announced to Wayne that I never felt this exhausted with our newborns! Of course I must have been but that was at least a decade and a half ago. I'm a bit older now with a larger family and all the added work of the Christmas season has really worn me out. Everything was accomplished on time though. We enjoyed a nice Christmas Eve day with my parents and my precious son and daughter-in-law. They arrived with a very large bundle of silver boxes all tied together with ribbon which turned out to be a gift for ME from all my big kids. I had no idea what it could be, but each box contained a ton of fluffy new bath towels. It was a great idea because we were in desperate need of towels around here. With 9 people showering all the time towels are a precious resource and now we have a beautiful abundance. After our time together we all packed up and headed to the Flach Family Christmas Eve celebration. This includes dinner with Wayne's whole family, his mom reading the Christmas story, prayer, and gifts. It was a wonderful time, but Wayne and I were fried by the end because Slava was over-stimulated and over-tired by the end of it all. His behaviour is improving at home, but new places are whole new worlds to explore for him and he does not sit still for a moment. Therefore, we do not take him to very many new places yet. But Christmas Eve was an exception and we did enjoy our time with our family.


Gram & Pop Flach gave Slava a piano for Christmas. Once he was in bed Papa put it together and set it by the Christmas tree. When Slava got up (and he was the 1st one up) he found that piano and it kept him busy all morning! He loved it and kept saying, "Slava's music-ah". I was able to get my turkey into the oven, enjoy my coffee, and wait for all the other kids to stagger into the living room all while Slava played his little piano.


We enjoyed opening gifts as a family and then around 11am my parents came. Slava received another favorite gift - a little red tricycle. Though he does not peddle it he does ride the thing all over the house. That night he even rode it into his bedroom and parked it next to his bed so it could go "spot" too! Grandmas are priceless!


Each day Slava does make baby-steps of progress in his behaviour. He is bonding with and attaching to us. Mostly he presents as a 2 year old going through the "terrible-twos" only much smarter then a 2 year old. When we have him engaged in playing with us he's great, but left to wander and he's into everything. We make sure one of us is with him at all times and all the doors to all the rooms are locked or gated off. Today while playing a toy bowling game he accidentally dropped the ball on Jordan's head. Jordan took it a little too hard and started crying. While I was trying to comfort him, Slava came over and said, "Jordan, Slava sorry." He kept repeating it, genuinely meaning it though Jordan wasn't too accepting of his apology. Jordan seems to be under some stress with the whole adjustment phase; he could really use some prayer. The other day he'd had it with Slava and stomped off declaring, "I hate kids!"




We've been home a whole month now and thankfully the past 2 weeks have been much better than the first 2. We are confident that God will continue this good work. It still is very challenging though. Today I announced to Sierra that I wished January was over. She pointed out that January had not yet started. I guess I'm just dreading starting up school and juggling Slava. And on Jan 11th Jordan has surgery. I posted before that we won't know until Dr. Carl gets in there if it'll be a routine adjustment which is one over-night or an actual rod replacement which would lead to several nights in the hospital. Usually I stay the night with Jordy, and if it turns out to be just one night we can make due. But we must have a plan in place incase it's more then that. I've been praying about it and we are thinking that if it's more then one night then Wayne will spend the nights in the hospital so I can be home with Slava in the morning when he gets up (at 6am) and then once someone is at the house I will go to the hospital so Wayne can go to work. I'm really hoping the surgery will be just an adjustment. It's just too soon for all that disruption for Slava.


The Lord reminded me today that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13). It is not me for I am not able to do this task set before me, it is Christ in me. I give Him all the glory.




Wow, this has been quite the long post. I guess I better post more often instead throwing it all at you at once. Thank you for faithfully following this blog and for your prayers, we do still need them. Have a blessed New Year and we'll keep you posted on our crazy life as we go throughout it.

No comments:

Post a Comment