Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Slava's Starting to Settle In

Slava playing with his new cube. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but we were desperate for something new for him to do.

Yesterday and today have been the best 2 days so far with our Slava. I dusted off a few books from my shelf on attachment and bonding issues. Thankfully he's actually not exhibiting major signs of attachment disorder. But it was good to be reminded of some important aspects of encouraging bonding and attachment. Mainly touch/caresses and making the child feel special. Children in healthy home environments naturally get this as infants and babies from their mother and it contributes to the healthy development of the child in all other areas. But sadly, children who are abandoned as infants, as Slava was, don't get that nurturing love that comes from a mother. Reflecting back on Jordan's early days with us, he was showered with special attention especially since at 3yrs he was very babyish. Also he thrived on caresses, in fact, when we read he still requests Anna to rub his feet! I'd remembered the importance of touch and I've been mindful to lovingly touch and caress him at every opportunity. Initially he wasn't too thrilled, but now he's beginning to come to me for hugs. We had a great experience with a game he actually started last night. He was acting like he was going away and waved "paka" so I acted all sad. After he took a few steps away, he turned, raised his hands in the air (as if to say I'm back) and then I acted all excited and happy. He laughed hysterically. We then continued this game for an hour! He'd wave goodbye and I'd say "paka, bye bye, dosvidanya, see ya later, good bye," he'd even come to me so I could kiss him on the cheek. Then he'd walk away, come back with raised hands and I'd declare "you're back" and get all excited! He loved it. And at one point he had us switch roles and I had to leave and he'd get excited when I jumped back into the room. It was sort of like the ultimate peek-a-boo game. Now he can say "I'm back" and "see ya later" (which actually sounds like see ya lame-o). We've had to play it several times today, but I can tell it's done wonders for bonding.



Slava has also added the words "coffee", "come", "soup" and "Ezra" to his vocabulary. The naughty word has been spoken a few times today, but he seems to be using it less. I just ignore it and distract him with an English word. Our Christmas tree is up and he's not really attacked it like I thought he would. I'm hoping that if he continues to do well we will actually bring him to church this Sunday.



This morning I was reading my Bible and he crawled up onto my lap. He kept pointing to the pages, so I started reading it out loud to him. I was in Ephesians 2, so I read it inserting his name: I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources, He will give Slava mighty inner strength through His Holy Spirit. And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your heart as you trust in Him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. And may Slava have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high and how deep His love really is. May you (slava) experience the love of Christ....Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now glory be to God! By His mighty power at work within Slava, He is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare ask or hope....

When I finished he said, "Da" which means "yes"! I agree, Amen!



So thank you all for your continued prayers. As you can see, they are working. So please, keep them coming! We love you all! God's blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment