Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Friday, September 10, 2010

Bulk Grocery Shopping vs Weekly Shopping

My weekly routine has been to keep a grocery list for the basics and then prior to shopping day make a list of 7 dinners and add those necessary items to the list. Then I head off to Walmart where I purchase household items, certain grocery items, and socks or underwear if anyone needs them. After heaving all that stuff into the vehicle I trapse over to Price Chopper where I proceed to gather the produce, deli, meat, dairy, bread, and any items I forgot while at Walmart. The car is stuffed, the wallet is empty, and I head home exhausted.

I've been pondering for some time now that maybe I should join the bulk shopping crowd. Many years ago when I only had 4 young kids I used to go to Sam's Club or BJ's. However it seemed that buying in bulk didn't make it last longer, my kids just ate more because we had more! So I quit going and started the above mentioned routine. Now I'm seeing that with the bigger family and jammed packed schedule it is costing more money & time doing it weekly. This week I've put together a 20 day dinner menu (give or take) and a HUGE grocery list. I invited my husband out on a date...to BJ's. I've questioned several friends on which they prefer, Sam's or BJ's (feel free to leave a comment to vote for your favorite). BJ's is closer, so that got my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment