Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It's September!!!

We're in the midst of changing seasons, even if the thermometer says otherwise. Our days are filled with home schooling and fall activities will be starting up soon. I am savoring this time of year, especially since we hope to be spending a chunk of it in Ukraine.
Here Anna plays with her barn and horses. Actually I had to assign her this task. She is not good at entertaining herself. She always wants a friend, tv, or food when she's "bored". Today after school she'd already watched her quota of TV, her best friend was unable to come over, and she'd already had lunch and a snack of pickles. So I had to sentence her to play time. Rough life.
Sierra is working on Amazing Grace. A piece she'd like to do in church with her big brother Wayne.
Jordan is busy doing school here. He's had some real productive days recently. We're reviewing phonics and he's already blending and reading words! Someone at church gave him a roll of Life Savers which I confiscated and have been using as little incentives to accomplish each page.

Today I spent some time online looking at airline tickets to Ukraine. Yikes! It's looking like it could cost almost $2000 for each ticket and we need 3 round trip and 1 one way. We'd like to fly in and out of Albany which would mean a stop State-side (Philly, JFK, or DC) and a layover in Europe (Germany, Amsterdam, or Paris) and then finally on to Kiev. Last time we drove to JFK and flew directly to Kiev with no stops. Wayne does not like being on the plane for 10 hours straight, so he'd like to have a lay over somewhere. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm not thrilled with hours and hours of waiting in an airport (with Jordan to entertain) and I think there's a greater chance for our luggage to get lost on the way. Another reason why it's pricey is because we'll have to book on such short notice. Today I checked prices to see what it would cost of we flew on Sept 10th and it ranged from $1600-$1900 without taxes. If you have any suggestions please leave me a comment or email me.

Our box of toys and clothes arrived to our facilitator already. Next week they are planning a trip to the orphanage, so hopefully then I'll have some new pictures of Slava to post. And they will let us know once they've submitted our "Application" which could be any time now. I'm so excited it's September, so now I can finally say that, "Next month we will have Slava!!!!!"
Please keep praying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment