Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Ukrainian Princess

Anna and I went on a date today. She and I are doing a "Secret Keeper Girl" Bible study which includes 8 dates. The first date is going out for tea, but I modified it a bit. You see, when you're Ukrainian you prefer Ukrainian tea. Our first stop was the local thrift store where we each picked out our own tea cup. Then off to a new Ukrainian food store I'd heard about. Stepping through the doors was like walking into Ukraine, complete with little old babushka ladies wandering around chatting in their native tongue. Anna thought she'd died and gone to heaven...or Kiev!
Anna was thrilled to find Cemeshki (phonetic spelling) but also known in the US as sunflower seeds. We picked up cookies, candy, verenicky (pierogies), salami, and of course - tea.
Everything on every shelf was in Russian or Ukrainian packaging. A young couple with a baby were running the store. They were very friendly, so I introduced them to my Ukrainian princess. We're definitely going back, and next time we'll bring Missy (she can read the labels!) Missy spent over 5 months in Ukraine and learned quite a bit of the language last summer.

We're still waiting for more good news. Our dossier was supposed to be submitted today. I'll update as soon as I here anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment