Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Day of Rest For Us...

...but not for Irina. She called this morning to say she was very busy running around for us, and she didn't need us with her. Before the passport can be processed the passport office needs to receive certain things from the tax office electronically. Irina took care of it all on her end but she's going back to the tax office to make sure they send it to the passport office. Please pray that it does because we really need that passport on Monday! She also needed Slava as her driver so we will stay put today and not even go to Borpka to see our Slava. I asked her how the trip back in the car was with him. She laughed, but I don't think she was laughing last night. She said the whole time he kept wanting to get out of the car. He doesn't understand and was worried that he was going to have to sleep in the car. He wanted to go back to his bed. He asked to use the bathroom (yeah right, 6 lane highway in bumper to bumper traffic)! She had big Slava pull over and told little Slava...there you go, you must go here if you have to go. Little Slava declined the offer! Then at one point he somehow got the door open, while the car was moving, and gave Ira a heart attack! Somehow he even tore her skirt in the process. Wow! If he can manage all that when they clearly speak his language, what is he going to pull on us when we bring him home? I'm glad he won't be able to open the door on the air plane...I hope! And I'm very glad I packed the children's Benedryl! Night, night Slava...see you in NY!

So we walked up to the market for water & toilet paper. For some reason toilet paper doesn't go as far here. I think they put much less on a roll. We go thru like 1 roll per day and it's just 3 of us! Then we walked to the "macys" store to purchase Slava's coat. The fleece jacket I brought for him will not be warm enough for when we pick him up. All the other clothes I brought from home appear like they will fit him. We ate our main meal of the day in the food court of the underground mall. We've been eating "toast" for breakfast most mornings. We make it by buttering bread and frying it in a pan since there is not a toaster in the apartment. I found some really good jam to put on it too. Friday we will hopefully visit our Slava and then on Saturday we'll visit him in the morning and then pick Missy up at the airport! After we visit him on Sunday we will go to the YWAM base to help Oksana & Stepan. They are preparing a "thank you" dinner for the doctors who volunteer on the dental truck ministry. Oksana called and asked me if I could help her with ideas for something different to prepare for the meal. There will be about 25 people in all at the dinner. I think she figured since I cook for a crowd at home that I'd know what to do! I'm blessed to be able to help, plus my cooking skills are getting a bit rusty! I emailed home for some recipes I think might work if all ingredients are available here. Oksana will purchase all the food, but I will help her prepare it and then we will all eat together. Most of the dentists are from Ukraine, but there is one American dentist and his wife who will be there too. Many of them speak English, so it should be a fun and interesting day. I look forward to the opportunity to serve and bless these people. Please pray that they will enjoy my cooking!

So that's about it for today. I must say it's kind of nice to not have to spend the day in the car! Please keep praying that everything will be in order at the passport office and that we will have Slava's passport on Monday. Pray too that we get that appointment for Tues at the US Embassy, I'm still waiting to here from them. Keep Missy in your prayers too, she will be flying out Friday morning by herself. And of course, keep praying that we will be home on Thursday! Thank you all for your faithfulness to pray for us. As we've said before, we would not do this without you or our faithful Lord. God bless you all! We love and miss you too. We should be home in 1 week!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment