Orphan Sunday

Orphan Sunday
Summer 2014

Monday, November 29, 2010

Music Tames the Savage Beast

This is the day we picked Slava up from the orphanage. From L to R is one of his care-takers, the assistant director of the orphanage, & Irina. Slava & Jordan are surrounded by some of the children in Slava's groupa.

Sierra & Slava creating musical fusion (Sierra's idea).

Today was a long day, but now that we're at the end of it I somehow feel...encouraged. It's probably from all the prayer going up for us I'm sure. Slava was up and down in the early morning hours most likely from the time difference still. But he really didn't get up until 6:30am and we sat in my bed while he contentedly listened to Papa's I-Pod for about 15 minutes. Then we headed to the kitchen where he placed his order, "Kasha (oatmeal), banana, molako (milk)." Just like that, he listed off what he wanted to eat! Then we preceded to try to follow the routine we started yesterday which did seem to help. He can actually sit and pay attention to a task as long as you get him to sit down and help him with it. Of course the day was full of discipline and correction too. Especially after lunch when I was trying to get him to have some quiet time. We battled it out, but he actually settled down and fell asleep. His first nap since the orphanage! As much as I enjoyed the 1 1/2 hour rest, I was concerned that he wouldn't go to bed early. I did however notice that his behavior was a bit better for the remainder of the day. He also made a new discovery - Sierra's piano. She kept him busy for quite a while as she played and he sat next to her fingering the keys too. He loves music and it seems to soothe him. We're still dealing with his naughty word problem, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe he's really not using it as a bad word but a silly word. When he's in the midst of laughing and having fun he starts saying it. We've decided to ignore the word for a few days to see if, when he doesn't get a reaction from us, maybe he'll stop saying it. Curtis, our 18yr old son, commented that he will most likely forget the word when he loses the rest of his Ukrainian language as he learns more English. I hope so. And he did go to bed rather easily. He actually laid down on the kitchen floor around 7:30pm and said, "spot" (sleep). So we turned on the Ipod, turned off the lights and I laid down with him. He rocked a little and in 10 minutes was sound asleep...no battle at all. I stayed there for a while praying for him and enjoying the moment.




I want to thank Jenn, who commented on my last post. I really needed the encouragement and to know we're not alone. I too have pondered how Slava's behavior with us is much like our behavior towards God while we are lost in sin. But Jesus came to set us free and by His blood we are adopted into God's family. We receive new life and learn and grow as we walk in it.




So we appreciate your continued prayers for Slava and for us. Jordan is still having a tough time. He tends to act up, I guess because his life has now changed almost as much as Slava's. I look forward to the day when they can play together. Slava seems to like Jordan and says his name all the time. Tomorrow I'll go out for a couple hours for a much needed hair appointment. Wednesday Jordan must see Dr. Carl and he's actually due to have surgery again the end of December. My parents offered to come and help while I go out for these appointments. They've been such a big help and we really appreciate it. Today my Mom showed up with a big pot of home made chicken soup. (Thanks, Mom). Thursday Jordan also has an appointment with the pediatric dentist and I'm bringing Slava (and Andrii for help) with us so the dentist can have a look at all those rotten baby teeth. Other then these necessary appointments I don't plan on leaving the house if I can help it. Slava really needs consistantcy and time to settle in.




It's sort of shocking to me that I left for Ukraine in October and now people are buying Christmas trees upon my return. I guess I'll have to do most of my Christmas shopping online and I plan to keep the decorating and other activities at a minimum. My daughter Sierra turned 14 last Wednesday, so we're going to have a "small" family party...small for us is still pretty big for most people though! We are just over joyed to be home even with all this craziness. And the kids are thrilled because their Christmas vacation has already started! Bonding with Slava trumps text books!

No comments:

Post a Comment